Thursday, October 4, 2012

herro der, ugh just go on sin mi, nuevo hombre

So this writing gig turns out to be pretty sweet.  Sure, like realistically, I am really just writing college applications (the drafts they give me are garbage) but eh, I like to write, it's easy and it allows me to keep my feet moving around the world.

My package finally (!!!!) came last week and with it, contacts, shoes, clothes and obvi my preciouuuuus.  My computer.  God what a relief.  People tell me I seem like a completely new man with shoes and all, not to mention my morning after flanny.  For them ho's that be cooking me bfast the morning after.  No, not really.  But it does make me sound cool and significantly less celibate than reality.  For XMAS I think I'm going to mail the cronies at DHL my poop.  Let's hope it doesn't get stuck in customs for 3 months like my package.

And with my precious I've been downloading an obscene amount of fresh music.  Gawwd I miss the rollnrave diet.  Can't wait to rock out stateside in a couple months.   Also, the lion mane I have on my head has really become untame.  Not sure when the transition to brush is supposed to happen but combing my head hurts.  Maybe it's cuz I use a cheap Cathay Pacific comb or is there some cutoff length when you gotta start using a brush?  Solo dios sabe supongo.  That would be a great article for a men's version of cosmo.  Or is that what GQ is?  I donno.  If you're straight and reading GQ you should rethink some things.

Las gallinas convinced me to hike Tajulmoco, the highest point in Central America, last weekend.  I do love hiking but usually just too lazy to do it knawadimean?  So we went with the local Gringo organization, Quetzaltrekkers, really a group of half-retarded 20-something ex-athletes with little in the way of career prospects and overly inflated egos.  Oh right, and they've only creeped on like 10 of my friends in the most juvenile manner.  "Oh well since my hand just slipped into your pants can I just take them off of you!?!"  Idiots.  Anywho.

Woke up at 4am on Saturday morning.  Turd.  Smoked a J and ate some saltines.  Felt slightly better.  Met up with everyone else at HQ.  Hopped in the back of a cargo truck and stared at the stars en route to the bus terminal.  Jumped in a thankfully uncrowded chicken bus for the 1.5 hour ride to San Marcos where we ate some bfast.  Took another 1.5 hour ride, this time on a painfully crowded chicken bus, to the base of the beast.

And there she was, that bald bitch eyeing us in the background.  We geared up and started trekking.  Not exactly sure how heavy the pack was but I was carrying enough layers for a Snowpocalypse, 4L of water, a tent and a sleeping bag.  Through the combination of my pack, the altitude and probably the fact that I smoke, the hike up the mountain was pretty tough.  Not like the hardest thing ever but I definitely enjoyed our breaks along the way.

We had uncannily perfect weather the entire time.  The journey up awarded us jaw-dropping views of the surrounding towns and mountain ranges.  We hiked until about 1pm when we made it to base camp, nestled in a lil meadow.  Set up camp and spent the afternoon relaxing, napping and soaking up the views.  The fog started to roll in and since we planned to summit for sunrise, I spent the evening passing the time precisely as you should when you're in the middle of nature.

The guide shook us awake in the tent at 3am.  Mahh.  No J this time.  Hopped out of the tent to be punched in the nuts by the cold.  But I complain too much.  The fog had cleared while we slept, giving way to stunning night skies.   We hiked (really crawled and climbed) the remaining 1500 or maybe 2K feet with headlamps lighting the way.   We finally reached the summit as the first few rays of sun poked up over the horizon.  Behind us sat the full moon illuminating the volcano's crater.  To the right, Santiatiguito, the volcano behind Xela, started erupting.  And in front, the sunrise.  Had a michelada toast and a morning sesh to welcome the day.  Pretty epic morning.  All in all, def def worth the hike.

Heading to the beach manana for some warmth, finally.  hasta la proxima vez muchachos.



No comments:

Post a Comment