Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Land before time, Canadian tuxedo, finished garden, stateside


What a whirlwind final two weeks in Guatemala.  Returned from Honduras to familiar faces, Guatemalan comfort food and my beloved bed.   Spent the week working on the aquaponic garden and putzing around.  Went out for Jenn’s bday, got knackered as they say in Australia and woke up with an appropriate hangover given the night we had. 

Rested up, ate some pizza that night and then went to bed early on Friday.   Awoke Saturday to tackle Santiaguito, the active volcano that lies behind Xela.  Nothing too too explosive but you can see eruptions throughout the day as the smoke columns up in Xela’s background. 

So anyway, we arrived at the start point around 730 – me, Jenn, Jeremy (rando other dude) and the guide, Marvin.  Marvin’s the same guide that took Bam Bam, Brian and I to Chicabal. 

So I then find out that we have to hike up and over Santa Maria, an inactive volcano, to reach the base of Santiaguito.  Getting to the top of the ridge we were climbing wasn’t bad at all (tho Bam Bam would have cried! jaja) and we got to the mirador (lookout) around 10am.  Took a nice break, ate a bit, watched Santi erupt a couple times, and then started on our descent towards the base of Santiaguito. 

At first, didn’t seem so bad.  But soon I realized that so few people hike this bastard mountain that there are no trails.  Instead, we worked our way down the volcano using natural runoff canals and animal trails.  As we were bushwhacking our way through the head-high vegetation, volcanic ash covering the forest kicked into the air, covering our everything.   And as one would expect, life for a plant living on a volcano is not so easy.  You don’t have very deep topsoil, good access to nutrition, water runs down the slopes at such a speed it’s almost impossible to drink and oh yeah, your neighbor spits ash on you all day.  I guess it’s kinda like living in plant Compton.  So as such, as plants do in such inhospitable climates, these plants have adopted my life sucks so F you too mentality.   The entire forest scratches, pricks, pokes and simply makes your life hell in general.  As if sweating your balls off wasn’t enough you have to crawl, duck and climb through a forest that’s giving you the middle finger. 

So after a couple hours through the forest we make it to an old lava flow and take that the rest of the way down, slipping, sliding and overall making your thighs burn like a Donna Summers workout video. 

Got to the bottom, ate lunch, then headed up.  Santiaguito’s a much younger volcano, like 50 years old (blew off of Santa Maria) so there’s no eroded lava that’s become dirt or sand.  Instead, we essentially bouldered our way to the top which actually, wasn’t that bad all said and then made camp.   The volcano’s comprised of 3 craters (think Hawaii if you’ve studied geology) and we camped on the one furthest from the active crater.  The mountain has an incredibly surreal feel to it.  Very little flora exists save for this vibrant green algae that covers everything and a few other F you plants.  And because it rains so much, the landscape is peppered with steam vents, making me feel quite like Little Foot looking for his tree star. 

Obviously Jenn and I had the ritual why the F did we just do that joint then we hiked down our crater then up the next one to watch the sassy broad erupt.  And erupt it did.  Epic views, lava flows, smoke and ash galore. 

Hiked moreeee, back to our camp, ate dinner and passed out.  Woke up early the next am, did some high yoga as I watched a few massive eruptions and then did the same hike but in reverse.  I’ll spare you the details. 

Spent the last week tying loose ends, running around, etc.  I guess it’s only apt to finish Central America like I started it – with an absolutely awesome Aussie girl, still with my clothes on.  I met Amy in the back of a pickup riding through the mountains of Honduras.  We got to talking and found out we have pretty much the same degree.  She asked if she could help me with el jardin en Xela and I said why not, thinking she’d never come.   Well jiminy xmas, she showed up.  She helped me a TON in finishing the garden and then we all went out on Friday night.  Drank too much again, dahnced a storm, said no to too many hookers and obvi ended the night eating street food at 4am. 

Not gonna lie, the garden gives me a hard on.  So proud of it, what it means for the project and having so many people in my life that were/are keen on helping out.   So then presented the garden and our One School One Garden project at a community event organized by El Infinito…en espanol.  Nervous?  Yes.  But after a couple early hiccups I regained my probably unmerited cocky sense of public speaking and everything was super mel.  Hopped on a bus to Guatemala City, spent the night, then took the am flight to Dallas.   Still didn’t fully realize where I was going.  Then I noticed the two old, white codgers in front of me purell’ing their seats, arm rests, head rests, the walls next to the seats, everything.  Oh right, going stateside.  Turns out they were missionaries.   How do I know that you might ask?  Because they were reading a “how to lead the Sudanese away from Islam during conflict” book.  Can I just say something?  I think being a missionary is one of the most retarded, futile, imperialistic, oppressive, ignorant things to do with your life. 

The dude had his arm chopped off by rebels, his family was slaughtered, cattle stolen and he has no food to eat.  Let’s take care of those issues before we start trying to “steer” him from the “backward” religion of Islam.  I hope you drown in your Purell. 

So back to my point.   Home in the States.   Yeah, sure it feels a bit weird but man I am glad to be back surrounded by Asian foods.  Ciao.  

No comments:

Post a Comment