Monday, July 9, 2012

honey bunny, no me dejes, livin cosmo, workin man

It's official - I'm staying in Xela for quite some time now.  I start this afternoon working at my sister school (spanishguatemala.org) redoing the website and promoting the school to foreigners via online marketing and school partnerships.  The school's been sinking for some time in terms of enrollment and so hopefully I'll be able to turn the ship around.  It's kinda scary having that in my hands but at the same time it's really exciting working towards something I feel passionate about in bringing people to experience a new culture and learn a new language.  Additionally, this school has a robust volunteer segment so this work fits in nicely with my project.  The aquaponics life is starting to grow legs as well so hopefully I'll be able to bring the exchange component to life sooner rather than later with the help of this job.  

We went out really hard last week cuz we were saying goodbye to two of my closest friends here, Evan and Rosita.  Evan's still in college but is quite possibly more mature than any of us.  Not to mention he's an absolute bro that loves to frat hard.  Rosita potentially steals my crown for being most insane but acts like a dude and was always down for a good time.

 I showed up at the bar without feeling in my legs and somehow found myself chatting up a guatemalteco for most of the night...buena practica.  I kept thinking he had really soft features for a guatemalean but watev, I told myself, it was good practice.  Well at the end of the night he put his number in my phone and I couldn't hear comprehensibly through the noise but the next morning when I woke up (by myself, thank you) I saw that his name is "Honey".  Turd.  Then it instantly made sense why he kept buying me drinks and wanted to talk to me so badly.  Gah I hate that I keep doing that.

Anyway Rosita, Claire and I went to Antigua for the weekend as a final send off.  It's a great town, but feels nothing like Guatemala.  It's super duper cosmopolitan and I got to eat with chopsticks for most of my meals...sushi, thai and chinese, which was actually quite good.  The feel's really quaint as a result of the myriad ruins left from the 1770 earthquake and everything's been preserved to maintain a really rustic, well, antigua look.  We basically just spent 2 days walking around eating, drinking and taking a photo shoot - a great respite from Xela life.



No comments:

Post a Comment